Monday, February 27, 2006

Hau'oli la hanau! Happy Birthday to me!

Today I am 41 years old. It wasn't as hard to say as I thought it would be. I'm not as good as I could be but I'm not half damn bad either.

I woke up this morning feeling really depressed, not because I'm 41 but because I thought my husband forgot my birthday. I didn't expect the kids to know but after I took them both to school I crept back into bed and expected my husband to say "Happy Birthday" but he didn't. With nothing to wake up for, I went back to sleep. My sister, Joslyn, called. She remembered. My Mom called. Gina and I take turns reminding Mom of each other's birthdays. And then Gina called. More depressed than ever that Bernie forgot I went downstairs and asked if he'd like to have lunch with me he said, "No, I have too many things to do and I don't have money to go to lunch anyway." I said that I have money and he asked where I got money from and I said that Mom had given me some for my "BIRTHDAY" and then I stormed into the house to cry. He got all sheepish and said, "Oh shit! I forgot! Honey, I'm sorry!" and started getting ready to go to lunch with me. We wound up having Hawaiian BBQ and went home so he could get ready for his basketball game this afternoon. I said something snotty about how sad it was that I'm baking my own birthday cake and he just laughed. As he drove off, I heard the sound of a van door closing in my driveway and ran to the door just as a dozen red roses were being delivered! What a shit he is!!!!! The card said, "Ha! You thought I forgot! Love, B"


And that is how my birthday went so far today.

No comments: