Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Yummy washcloths and flowers galore

I've been busy. Not working on what I should be working on, but busy nonetheless. I haven't worked on my black felted bag, nor have I worked on my Tubey sweater (it will be 102 degrees by Sunday) and I haven't finished my second Trekking sock. I have wanted the Bathing Beauties washcloth and soap sack patterns from Fiber Trends for a very long time and finally gave in to the urge and ordered the patterns as well as some DK weight cotton with which to make them from OneFineYarn.com. I had been making some face cloths with Cottontots and they're great but I just loved the idea of these delicate looking cloths and matching soap sacks to give as gifts. They make a great presentation.

The day the patterns came in the mail with some of the Petit Mandarin 100% Egyptian cotton yarn I ordered, I dropped everything and cast on for the round Old Shale Lace washcloth. I used a ball of yellow crochet cotton that I had in my stash. It's not as soft as the Petit Mandarin but I knew I'd be able to see the stitch definition and get the size cloth (approximately 9")that I was hoping for rather than a tablecloth size I'd wind up with using worsted weight cotton. It was supposed to have a picot cast off edge but because I had made another round petal edge washcloth prior to casting on for this, I didn't have enough yarn to do the picots. I was happy with the way the regular cast off edge looked, though.

The next day, I went to one of my LYS, Wooly Wonders, to see what type of cotton they carried that I could make more of these cloths with. Luckily, they also carried the Petit Mandarin so I bought one ball. I was also curious to see whether Paton's Grace would do well, so I picked up a ball of that as well. I am pretty happy with how Grace feels. However, the Petit Mandarin is a better buy because it costs less, has more yardage and is softer than Grace. I should finish the Grace cloth tomorrow as I'm ready to fall asleep.










A crocheted rose with knitted leaf made from Paton's Classic Merino of my own design.





I saw a scarf very much like this one on an episode of Surface this past season. I coveted it and vowed to make one of my very own. This is "my precious floral scarf".


1 comment:

Acornbud said...

Just found you blog. Love your felted bags and the volcano hat. Aloha.