Saturday, March 22, 2008

Reusable cloth panty liners

After a brief discussion of reusable cloth feminine hygiene pads at our last knit nite, I have been thinking about this concept. I had thought briefly about it years ago but being that I don't like to use pads, I gave up on it without further investigation. I do, however, use panty liners daily, and while their cost is still very inexpensive, I have been trying to re-use and repurpose more around the house, when I can. After some Googling, I came across this site, complete with pattern. Very easy and they're cute as Hell. There are several people on Etsy who are selling some from this very pattern as well as some variations of it. I actually bought one from someone on Etsy before I found Adahy's pattern. I still can't wait to get it. I sat down at my machine today after dreaming of them all night and whipped out seven of them. I have been wearing one all day and I must say they're very comfortable. Here are five of the ones I made today. In case you're wondering, I made the panty liner of the sunflower one out of an old, very soft sheet and the wing portion is 100% cotton. The fire truck print and pink animal print are both cotton flannel. The liner has two layers of fabric, one layer of cotton batting, and one waterproof vinyl layer. The ones I've seen for sale online and on Etsy use PUL (polyurethane laminate) as their water-resistant liner, but since I didn't have any of that, I had to improvise. Oh, and no, I can't feel that button! I figured that I can get 8 of these panty liners out of one yard of fabric. I'll have to look for some PUL here in town. I still won't switch to pads but these panty liners are pretty cool and I'll try using them for awhile.





.




Here are some further links for you to check out:
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/padindex.html
http://mypads.wordpress.com/
http://www.goddesspads.com/
http://www.vajpads.com/aboutcloth.php

Update 4/6/08: I was able to find the PUL on eBay and there has been no looking back! I've been experimenting with new styles and methods every day. They're addicting! I must have made about 30 different pads since I started. Mostly great but there have been a couple of lemons. I have found that since I'm on the "fluffy" side, that I prefer an 11" pad rather than the usual 8" liner, which I have adapted for every day use.

I've come across some strong opposition to the whole idea. Basically, 9 out of 10 people are grossed out or repulsed by the idea. See what our society has done to us women? I don't know about them, but I want something soft and breathable next to my coochie. According to many posts I've read, cloth pads cut down on the "eau de poisson" (fishy smell to the non-initiated) and that alone is a great reason to use them. I wish more women knew they walk around smelling like a poissonerie and get with the program. A clean kitty is a happy kitty.

7 comments:

Steph said...

I am still LMAO over these! They are super cute....who woulda thought girly supplies could be cute!?!?!
See ya soon!

Cindy said...

These are really cute! My friend Michelle at http://www.Frogginqueen.blogspot.com made some awhile back, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and sew any yet. Gotta try it now, this pattern is too cute!

mama k said...

So cute!

You can also use a thin layer of micro fleece as a moisture barrier. I find that they work fine with pantyliners and "breath" a little more than the PUL. (I still have PUL backed ones for heavy flow maxis.)

I love my "mama cloth" and am so glad I switched.

Unknown said...

That's the same pattern I was going to try and whip up soon! Your's turned out really great!

YarnGirl said...

I made my first pantyliner - using Adahy's pattern - yesterday. I love it! No plastic, no sticky chemical adhesive, it allows air flow...

I'm working on more. I make mine with just flannel, and I put snaps on the wings. I'm absolutely in love with this whole idea. And there are so many cute flannel prints out there. Joann currently has their Snuggle flannel prints on sale for $2.99/yard, too: http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search_results.jsp?CATID=cat1110&keywords=snuggle+flannel

Unknown said...

I started using the cloth pads on super light days to save a little money and help the environment. Now that I'm in perimenopause, I wear them all the time because I never know when my period will come. I also use them as a backup for tampons on heavy days. They are much nicer on my skin and and you are right, there is no more weird "smell" with the cloth ones. Washing is easy--pop them in the wash and I hang them to dry. If you don't like the stains, just use a little pre-wash treatment on them.

Susan Vos said...

I find that the diy liners kee sluding backwards so I've started unning them witha good quality nappy pinat the end of it, through the double part of the gusset at the back.