Monday, September 26, 2011

Unpaper towels

2011-09-26_11-13-16_347

Have you heard of unpaper towels?  I had but didn't pay much attention until joining a frugal living swap this weekend on Craftster.  Some of the swappers in previous swaps gave these as part of their packages.  I don't think we go through a large amount of paper towels but I have been giving some thought to cutting back and have been using my dish towels to clean more things where I would have grabbed a paper towel in the past.  There are some things I refuse to use cloth to clean up (pet poop).  I did a Google search and was amazed at how many people are into this!  I just ordered some birdseye cotton from a seller on Etsy so that I can make a bunch of these. 

I made a few of these last night using cotton flannel on one side and unbleached cotton muslin on the other.  I just wanted to try out the concept.  I am even thinking that these will make great casual, everyday napkins!  The only downside?  They're so cute that I don't want to get them dirty!  I already have more cut out and ready to sew in a brown/cream/black batik and black flannel.  Can't wait to get started on those!

1 comment:

Deborah Hamilton said...

The best kitchen towels are old fashioned cotton baby diapers. The problem is finding them since most moms use disposable diapers now.