Thursday, July 11, 2013

Beginning sock knitting

I knitted my first pair of socks in 1999.  I found I disliked double pointed needles (love them now) and moved on to do the Magic Loop method then the 2 circular method (a la Cat Bordhi).  I prefer Magic Loop for socks rather than 2 circs for many reasons, but primarily because it's cheaper than having 2 circs in several sizes available at the same time and not hung up in another project. 
Someone on a FB knitting page was having a hard time learning to make socks and I was reminded of the site that helped me tremendously in those early days.  I had to go to the Wayback Machine  to find it.  Here is the link.  Full of helpful pictures all along the way.  I don't make socks like this anymore as I prefer toe up, but it's a great way to learn the anatomy of a sock.

No comments: