Friday, July 18, 2014

Broccoli cheese soup

I love broccoli cheese soup but never made it because I thought it was hard...until today.  I found a recipe on Pinterest that looked promising from this blog

I pretty much followed it except that I added chicken bouillon to my veggie stock because it was too bland and the only other spices I used were pepper, garlic and onion powders.  I used one handful of shredded Mexican cheese blend and one handful of sharp Cheddar cheese.

32 oz vegetable broth
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped including stems (peel stem if very fibrous)
1 cup shredded or diced carrots
1 diced small onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp chicken bouillon

In large pot (5-6 qt.), add all above ingredients and simmer until veggies are tender but not mushy.

In a small saucepan, make roux by melting 4 Tbsp butter and whisking in 4 Tbsp flour until completely blended and just barely turns darker.  Remove from heat.

To the roux, add 2 cups of the broth from the veggies and whisk until smooth.  Add mixture back into veggie/broth pot and bring to a low boil to thicken soup.

To the pot add 1 cup heavy cream and heat through.  Lower heat and finally add 1 handful of shredded sharp Cheddar and 1 handful of shredded Mexican blend cheese.  Make sure that you don't bring to a boil after cheese is added.


No comments: