Thursday, August 02, 2007

Diagonal criss-cross coasters



Have some leftover 5" blocks from my last quilting project and wanted to try the coasters I made before but with the squares folded on the diagonal rather than in half. I really like the way these look and you can still stick a wine glass base in the center hole.

I also made an Annie's Choice block but didn't take a picture yet. I realized at 2 a.m. that I hadn't done any sewing the day before and went upstairs and cut out the squares and sewed the 1/2 square triangle units for the block. I finished it when I got up this morning. This block contains 16 of the 1/2 square triangle units for a finished size of 12". This was my first experience trying to match up all of those little points. Needless to say, they didn't all match up and frustrated the heck out of me. I also tried to squeeze 2 of these blocks out of 2 fat quarters and came up two (2) units short! Argh! I was hoping to be able to do it, but wasn't too confident. This would be a good opportunity for me to make all the blocks different. I'm also thinking about trying the quilt-as-you-go method again on this. Will post pictures soon.

No comments: