Saturday, March 14, 2009

Keeping my tea warm and a new round ripple




I was reading Steph's Cup of Tea today and in a previous post she asked if people drink tea at work and how they do it. That post reminded me of Betty, a very lovely, older British lady I used to work with. She made tea in her favorite rose covered cup several times a day and stashed her biscuits in her desk. As far as I can remember, she was our lone tea drinker. I was a coffee drinker in those days but I still loved watching her drink her tea. Betty resembled Maxine (from Hallmark cards) in both appearance and demeaner, but I liked her and she liked me. It was an honor as she didn't like a lot of people.

This got me thinking about how I used to keep my large mug of coffee warm at my desk and that I tried keeping a pot of tea warm like this awhile ago. However, I forgot the most important thing about keeping a pot of tea warm...preheating the pot! Very important! So, today I got out my two little warmers (one is for candles and the other for keeping food warm) and redid my experiment. After over an hour, both the pot and lidded cup's contents are at a nice drinkable temperature, not too hot. I didn't want to waste the water from my tea kettle for preheating the pot, so I filled it with tap water and heated it in the microwave for 3 minutes with a chopstick in it to prevent superheating. Superheated water is a pheonomenon where water is past boiling temperature but hasn't actually come to a rolling boil. This is extremely dangerous as it can cause 3rd degree burns to whichever body part happens to touch the water. Watch it here and here.

I just posted a picture of my new ripple over at the No End In Sight Ripple Along site. Geez, I haven't been there for a long while. I'm making it for my friend, Leah. It won't be a secret from her for long as I will be working on it in front of her on Monday. If you haven't already guessed, she's the same Pittsburgh Steelers fan I made the flowered hat and scarf for a little while ago. I hope she likes it.

No comments: