Saturday, December 09, 2006

Felted soaps

Barb Tolleson, who is a member of our group, Las Vegas Knitters, will be holding a free demonstration of the felted soaps tomorrow (er, um, later this morning) at Nancy's Quilt Shop. They had several bags of wonderfully colored roving the other night when we went to knit with the regular ladies. I coveted but could not fondle as they were bagged. I also set aside a few skeins of Noro Kureyon that I have absolutely no clue what they will become. I'm considering putting them back on the shelf and just grabbing a bag of roving. Here is a picture of my felted soap. Okay, you should know that I am never one to leave an idea alone. While I was scrubbing away half the bar just to get the roving felted onto the bar of soap, I thought that it was such a waste of soap. I used an inexpensive bar of Dove soap this time, but what if I used a hand made soap? I thought that I could just knit or crochet a small bag in feltable wool that over time with use will felt down just like the roving, in theory anyway.This one is made with Paton's Soy Wool and used a very small amount of yarn so that if it works, I could get several felted soaps from one skein. I'll post after I've given it a go in the shower. Aloha!

No comments: