Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Slow ripple progress and a quick FO!

Gentle Waves Round Ripple (top picture) 8-Point Wavy Ripple (middle picture)








See the crochet hook on my smaller afghan? Bernie made that for me. I was complaining that since I've been doing so much crocheting lately, the end of my hook was digging into the meaty flesh below my pinkie finger and it was bothering me. I bought some cushions but the hole was so small and I couldn't get it on my hook. He has since made me four more. I'm not sure but I think this one is maple and two of the other ones are ebony. I told him that I love the ebony ones, A LOT!

**I have been reading posts regarding some round ripple afghans on Crochetville. Some people have mentioned that their ripples do not lie flat. I don't have a problem with my Gentle Waves Ripple lying flat at all. However, the 8-Point Wavy Ripple does "ripple" a little bit at the very center but as the afghan grows, the rest of it lies flat. I'm wondering if using a smaller hook exacerbates the rippling effect in the middle of round ripples. I am using worsted weight yarn (Red Heart) and a size I (5.5 mm) hook and I think the larger hook helps in the drape of the fabric.**

After seeing so many crocheted baseball style caps (also newsboy style) everywhere, I decided, at 2 a.m., that I just had to have one of my very own. I wanted it to be in Chris' baseball team colors, which is navy blue and orange for the Detroit Tigers. I didn't want to go looking in my stash at 2 a.m. so I pulled out a skein of royal blue that I decided didn't belong in any of my ripples and got started. Now that I know how easy and fast it was, I will now make one in some navy yarn I found after the fact. Picture to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a pattern for the wavy round ripple? This is just what I'm looking for for a special charity project and am having trouble finding one!

MikKnits said...

Sorry Sam, please see this post regarding that ripple: http://mikknits.blogspot.com/2007/03/new-8-point-wavy-ripple-pattern.html

Good luck finding a replacement pattern.

Mik