Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Look at what I made today!





I have been planning this denim rag quilt for the past 3 days. When Anthony left for football camp on Sunday, I went through his closet and found several pairs of jeans that no longer fit him with plans to make this quilt out of them. I asked him first and he gave me his blessing. Chris wanted to join in the fun so he pulled out some of his outgrown jeans for me. I had no idea how many jeans I'd need for this project. I think in all I used 3 or 4 pairs of Anthony's jeans and two pairs of Chris' jeans shorts. By the end, I was getting really good at getting the most squares as possible out of them. I also bought 4 yards of flannel for the back of the quilt. I found the fabric at Wal-Mart at $2/yard. I thought of using more masculine flannel plaids from JoAnns Fabrics but those were $5/yard and I wanted this one to be for me, so they had to be bright, cheerful colors.
I used a total of 88-6.5 inch square units (denim on top/flannel on bottom) for a finished size of 44" x 60.5". I even had a few squares of all the fabrics left over but really wanted to stop where I was. I was too anxious to get the sewing part over with. This is by far the most challenging sewing project I've ever done. I knew this quilt would be messy with all the snipping to be done. It was! Also, the Fiskars raq quilt snippers made the job so much easier than using scissors. I was worried about washing and drying it in my machines because of all the lint this thing would create. I spoke to my friend, Pat, who made several of these and she said that if I took it to a laundromat and an attendant saw me bring one of these things in, they wouldn't let me wash and dry it there. She assured me that it would be fine in my machine and I was excited to see it finished so I went ahead and did it here. I checked my dryer's lint filter every 20 minutes. After the first 20 minutes it was jam packed with lint. I am just so tickled that it turned out exactly like I had planned. I'm happy, happy! I can definitely see more of these in my future.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Love the jean quilt--great idea! The colorful patchwork like the the shades of summer drinks--yum! Happy Sewing! :o)

Monet said...

Looks GREAT!! :)

FaeryCrafty said...

That is really cool!

Angela :o) said...

I've finished sewing my quilt. Any advice on cutting? I'm through three rows and my hands are killing me. :o)

Wanna get together and cut? *wink wink*

Thanks again for the inspiration.
love, Ang