Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Test drive

After a depressing start to my day, I had to get in touch with my creativity to uplift my spirits. I decided to test drive my new sewing machine to see whether to keep it or not.

Last night I read 'Stack the Deck: Crazy Quilts in 4 Easy Steps' by Karla Alexander. This type of quilting has intrigued me more than the technically perfect quilts with all the precise points. Perhaps it's because I'm so new to the craft that points scare me, or, well...nope, I just like those types of quilts. So anyway, I had a few squares of flannel left from my jeans quilt so I thought I'd try my hand at the 'stack and whack' type of technique. I think I like it. I want to make another lap sized quilt like this. I don't know if I'll continue with these fabrics or not. If so, I'll have to buy more. I'd like to do one of the batik fabric ones that are found in the book. There's one with greens and purples with appliqued hearts on it. I might leave the hearts off.





Since I had the machine handy, I also tried to crazy quilt a fabric postcard. I like it except for the sloppy satin stitch border. I should have used coordinating thread instead of contrasting, perhaps. It's not beautiful but for my 'first' I'm pretty happy with it. I found this type of foundation crazy quilting to be more fiddly than the 'stack & whack' type, which I now like very much. I also like my new machine, a Brother HS100. It is computerized with 100+ stitch functions. I practiced some of the stitches on the postcard and they're cool. I can't wait to do more sewing on this machine.

2 comments:

Christy T said...

I l.o.v.e. crazy quilts... We used to have this one that my grandma made that I think was made out of my grandpas old sports-coats, lining and all... Not too pretty, but very interesting :) I've been admiring your blog for awhile now, and now that I have one of my own, I can actually post comments! Come and visit me if you have time :)

FaeryCrafty said...

Wonderful! You are doing such a great job with quilting. I'm green with envy :)