Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Chai Masala- Take 2

I couldn't help but tweak my first recipe because I think the cardamom was a bit too strong for my tastes. Here is my second recipe:

Chai Masala #2

Makes 28 servings

2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

To make 2 servings:

Bring 2 cups of water, 2 tsp black tea (Assam is my choice), 2 tsp sugar, and 1/4 tsp chai masala to a boil. Let boil approximately 5 minutes until water is a deep amber and has reduced a little. Add 1 cup milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat before it has a chance to boil over.

Now this is more like it! I love this recipe! A beautiful cup of chai for pennies a cup! Wonderful! I can't wait to share it with my friends. What I love about using the ground spices rather than fresh is that it's portable and I can mix up a batch and give it away in a little container, whereas if the spices were fresh, like the ginger, it would be more perishable and just a bit more work to prepare.

No comments: