Friday, July 15, 2005

Homesick Blues

I'm sitting here knitting another dishcloth, listening to Hawaiian music and missing the Hell out of my family and friends back home. This internet radio station breaks for commercials and when they talk about all these places and events I can feel that tug on my heart and I feel like I've been punched in the abdomen. Funny thing is that some of the DJs are the same ones I remember from 14 years ago when I left Hawaii for Vegas.

I hope that nothing stops me from going home in December. I've found out, from the school district web site, that winter break begins December 19th. Unfortunately, the low airfares on Hawaiian Air end on December 15th and basically double after that. Since both of the boys will be in school (yes, Chris will be a Kindergartener this year!)I have to arrange our vacations accordingly.

I'm often asked why in the world would I leave Hawaii to live in Vegas (where it was 118 degrees in my neighborhood at 6:00 p.m. when I got home from work) and I tell them that we wanted a better life for our future family. Bernie and I were married only a year when he got out of the Army. He asked if I wanted to remain in Hawaii or move to the mainland. We knew what we wanted...a nice house, good jobs, kids, pets...but didn't want to have to work 2 jobs each to have them. We have been able to accomplish this here but that doesn't mean I don't miss my home...and Hawaii will always be my home no matter how long I'm away. Sure, there are a lot of locals (local Hawaiians, not Vegas locals) and I can have my "plate lunch" and other favorite foods here, but I sure miss the Aloha spirit and hospitality.

It's late and I bid you all, "Aloha kakou"

No comments: