Saturday, January 06, 2007

Tea, bread and knitting




This morning I caught up on some episodes of The Knitting Cook podcast. In episode 3, Faith shared her mother's honey wheat bread. I wanted that bread so badly but didn't have the Vital Wheat Gluten that her recipe called for. Instead, I grabbed the bread machine out of the pantry and found a box of low carb wheat bread and started a loaf. The house smelled wonderful and I couldn't wait for it to be done. I cooled it, sliced it, popped a piece into my mouth, and then spit it out! It tasted like cardboard! Nasty! Into the trash it went. I waited 3 hours for this bread and I wasn't going to be denied. I relied on an old standby recipe and tried again.


Wheat Bread - 1 1/2 lb loaf

Add ingredients to your bread machine in the following order:

1 c. warm water

2 T butter

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 c King Arthur whole wheat flour

2 c white flour

2 T dry milk

1 T sugar

2 tsp active dry yeast

I set my machine on the standard setting since this isn't 100% whole wheat bread and I prefer the light crust setting.

While I was waiting for my bread, I finished my Noro cap, wove the ends in and soaked it in conditioner. It's now drying and waiting for me to wear it.
I've started another stethoscope cover for my sister and have a mesh crochet shrug almost done and waiting in the wings. Funny, but while I'm watching Knitty Gritty, I feel weird if I'm crocheting and while I'm watching Uncommon Threads and they have a crochet episode, I have to crochet.

No comments: