Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mug mat & tea wallet




Wouldn't these mug mats make a cute addition to your table when your friends come over for a cuppa? They're quick and use very little fabric. You know, since they're insulated with batting they're great to cover your mug or cup while your tea is steeping to keep the heat inside, if you don't have one of those cool lidded cups, that is.

For each mat you'll need:

3 - 6.5" squares of fabric
1 - 6.5" square of cotton batting

Press one square on the diagonal. Lay cotton batting on table followed by one square face up, diagonally folded square set in one corner and topped by final square wrong side facing you. Sew on all four sides with a 5/8" seam, leaving at least 3" for turning. Turn right sides out. Press, making sure opening is turned in and pressed flat. Topstitch 1/8" from edge around all four sides. Using photo as your guide, sew pocket for spoon 2" from right edge.

Had to make another tea wallet. I didn't really like the ribbon closure on the last one so I used an elastic loop and button instead. Much better!



3 comments:

mama k said...

I definitely love the tea wallet idea! that would be a great mom's day gift for my MIL

margot said...

Love both of these items. Want them for myself but I am also always on the lookout for itmes my mom (age 83 and running circles around me!) to make for the bazaar at church and the nursing home she volunteers at! How cute!

Phyllis said...

Hi there,

I was searching for directions or pictures of tea wallets and discovered your blog. Now that I can see what they look like, I'm going to sew one for my oldest daughter for her birthday, which is in two weeks.

Thanks for the great pictures!