Thursday, April 22, 2010

Homemade paper flower embellishments

You know I'm new to this whole papercrafting thing, but I still get excited every time I see flower embellishments like the Prima flowers.  Especially the Prima flowers!  Only problem is, I'm too cheap to buy them and they're so expensive!  My solution (as usual) is to make my own.  I found a wild rose .svg template, to cut out on my Cricut, on Etsy by a seller named triciapeever.  I loved the way her flower looked but when I tried to make it myself, I wasn't too happy with  my efforts.  I perservered, however, and even though mine don't look at all like hers, I'm very pleased with myself!  All of the flowers in this first photo were made from the triciapeever template.  I can get two flowers from one 8.5" x 11" piece of cardstock!  The pink one was my first attempt a couple of weeks ago that I was only lukewarm about.  The two yellow and two white ones were made today using a new technique, which is a combination of techniques I've been seeing on YouTube.  I am so ecstatic about the results!  The white one on the lower left was sprayed with my homemade pearl glimmer spray and the yellow one on the upper right was sprayed with my homemade glimmer spray in champagne.  The other two were left natural.

The green flower was made using a dingbat font and cut out on my Cricut.  The font is called 09 KutUps and I use it for almost all of the shapes I use for cardmaking.  The cardstock started off white but I sprayed it with my homemade glimmer spray in a metallic green.
This little purple carnation is made from a page from English Home magazine.  The paper feels a bit heavier to me than your typical American magazine.  I punched out 2" circles and pinked the edges.  I think there are 7 layers.  I scrunched all the pieces and then pinned them together in the center with a mini brad.  I then misted the flower with my homemade glimmer spray in a lavender color and when it was completely dry, I touched up the edges with Stickles.

The rest of the pictures show another tea bag holder card that I made and what it would look like if embellished with the flowers instead of the ladybug. I may just have to show pictures of the steps used to make these so I don't forget what I did! 

Oh, of all the YouTube videos I saw, this one by Tracylovestoscrap is the one that made me want to try again.

No comments: