Thursday, April 22, 2010

Old Settler's Beans

The other day I was looking for something to cook for dinner and I happened upon a recipe for Old Settler's Baked Beans.  It looked good but I wasn't so sure the family would go for it.  It called for a lot of sugar and other than chili, everytime I tried to feed my lot some beans, they refused.  Still, I was sure I wanted to try anyway.  I tweaked the basic recipe and wanted to put down what I'd done so I don't forget for next time.  There will definitely be a next time as my husband exclaimed twice (after having two servings) that they were really good.



Old Settler's Beans
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 lb bacon
1 lg onion, diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 - 15 oz can butter beans
1 - 15 oz can pork and beans
1 - 15 oz can chili beans

Brown bacon then add onion and ground beef.  Drain.  Add remaining ingredients except beans and stir until combined.  Add beans and stir well.  Transfer to crock pot and cook on low until ready to serve.  We ate ours over hot rice!  Yum.

No comments: